Dr. Flem's Laboratory

Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Introductions

Seems appropriate that, upon starting a new blog to discuss comics and comics-related matters, I should probably provide a little history of my own relationship to comics.

I started reading comics pretty much as soon as I could read. Mostly Archie and Richie Rich at first, though I had switched over to DC superhero comics pretty thoroughly by 4 or so. I certainly recall reading DC Comics Presents and Justice League of America on a pretty regular basis up until I was 8 or so, at which point the Marvel stuff started to creep in (prior to that, it had mostly been confined to Spidey Super Stories, due to my love of the Electric Company).

Adolesence, and acquiring a step-brother who was really into Marvel, shifted me over pretty hard to the Marvel camp around age 10 or 11. At that point, I was reading plenty of Spider-Man, X-Men, New Mutants, Punisher sorts of titles, which continued up until I turned 14 or so. By then, I had pretty much run out of free spending cash that could be spent on comics, and gave up.

College reintroduced me to a couple titles - I had one class where we read Watchmen, followed by a class the next semester in which we read the Sandman graphic novel, Seasons of Mist, as well as the first few issues of Grant Morrison's run on Doom Patrol. I wasn't especially moved by Sandman, but really liked the Morrison stuff, so picked up what I could off rec.comics.marketplace (or whatever it was that was the online comic vending forum in the pre-eBay days).

Comic reading didn't really resume until I was about 25 or so when, after the Singer X-Men movie got me all nostalgiac for my childhood nerdiness, I learned that Morrison was writing the New X-Men. Started reading that, then decided to work backwards on the Morrison bibliography, which led to The Invisibles, which led to me getting totally hooked on comics again.

Now, I've pretty much slid into reading a pretty wide variety of comics - most of the DC stuff, certain Marvel titles (particularly if they're written by Brubaker, Ellis, or Kirkman), some indie titles (Optic Nerve, Eightball, anything by Andi Watson, Lore, etc.) Mostly, I just wanted a place where I could post my thoughts on what I'm reading at the time, so this is that place.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home