Dr. Flem's Laboratory

Saturday, May 13, 2006

Checkmate #1

I'm sure this has been discussed in Devon and Scipio's ongoing Marvel donation project, but this issue seems to combine multiple DC entities that really don't belong. A chess-themed super spy organization that fights an evil snake-based terroist group? I'm having trouble with it.

Now, don't get me wrong. I think there's certainly room in the DC Universe for an over-the-top spy-based book, and, really, they have no choice but to make King Faraday a key figure in it, but I'm having a hard time really getting into this series (or the assorted OMAC books leading up to it). I'd be willing to look the other way and ignore the whole mess, except for the poaching of JSA members. I've sort of fallen behind on my JSA reading (the Levitz OYL storyline is boring me to tears - I have yet to crack the spine of the last 2 issues), but it seems odd to take two characters from one of your more popular books to help boost sales of your new book (or, at least, I assume that's the thinking). Now, neither of them are characters I particularly care about. I like Michael a lot less than many people seem to - much of which may be the costume's fault - but he does seem to be fairly critical as far as team dynamics go. I know he's still doing both series, but spreading out the character just seems ill-advised. Especially when one of your titles is kinda awful.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home